Friday, August 24, 2007

Another finished Calorimetry

I didn't plan to knit one of these, but I just can't stand to be left out--so I cast on yesterday afternoon and sat down to have a nice little knit while I caught up on some podcasts. I started a swatch with some Lana Grossa Mega Stoppino.

That was way too thick and the gauge was WAY off, so I tried again. I had some leftover Baabajoes that I thought would be enough. I did a quick measure, using the nose-to-fingertip measuring tool to get a rough estimate of the yardage. Hmmm...it seems to be just about 90 yards (I thought). Not a scientific measuring tool, as I would find out later. So, I cast on and started knitting.

The pattern itself is quite easy. I read Sarah's notes on Ravelry and decided to cast on only 100 stitches and to knit fewer rows. That idea was a good one! As it turns out, I got fairly nervous about running out of yarn , so I fudged the short rows at the end. That changed the shape a little bit but as it turns out, it's OK. It serves to make a shape that is narrower at the back when buttoned (which works with my head). I cast off and had a mere 2-3 yards left. I don't like playing it that close! But I feel good about not wasting any of that nice yarn. It's a little coarse compared with the soft yarns I love, but it's springy and warm. So...it's done. I wove in the ends and sewed on an olive-colored bead I made instead of a button. It'll be warm, but as I suspected, I look like a total dork in it. Oh well.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I bet you don't look like a total dork. AND I actually can't tell that it's misshapen at all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home